Sunday, December 23, 2012

Post #84: Brought to you by the letter B

Most. Depressing. Advertisement. Ever.
Can you imagine if Santa really did have Crohn's? He'd have to tow a port a potty behind the sleigh....although technically he would have access to all the bathrooms in the world. It seems especially cruel to leave milk and cookies for IBD Santa, when what he would really want is candy coated Imodium. If you're on the naughty list, maybe IBD Santa clogs your toilet! Or poops in your stocking! Ewww. Annnnnd, we're done.

Why is this post brought to you by the letter B, you ask? B stands for bloated, balding (one baldish spot up front, now covered by bangs but still freaking me out), bitterness, bitchiness, BIRTHDAYS, and bananas (bananas are easy on your stomach, FYI).

As you may have guessed, I'm steroid free, and my AAC is not loving it. Add to the mix a cold I picked up from some random lady who was hacking next to me during class at the gym, and a time of year that usually makes me introspective and moody, and whee! Welcome to the party.

It's pretty much my one year Crohn's anniversary (yeah! said no one). I'll have a colonoscopy early next month to see where things stand, but I pretty much know what my next step is going to be.

hahahahaha so true.
This year the prospect of planning a "fun" birthday is especially depressing. Last year, for my big milestone birthday, I was feeling like crap, and promised myself I'd plan mini-celebrations throughout the year to make up for the fact that I could barely drag myself out to lunch on the actual day. I thought I would be feeling better, and I looked forward to "getting back to normal." It's been a year now, and I still feel like crap (my stomach is very loudly agreeing with that last statement).

With the exception of a few good stretches brought about by my favorite little pink pills, I'm pretty much where I started. I've had more tests, I have more experience, but I don't have anything approaching a workable solution for the problem. This past year has been full of pain, frustration, fear, and uncertainty. It has also been filled with small wins, and some bigger ones, including the fact that I'm still standing despite all the shit that's been thrown my way in the past 12 months (I mean that metaphorically, there wasn't a roving band of monkeys throwing feces at me. Just to clarify). I'm here and I'm still hopeful. That in and of itself is something to celebrate with (dairy free, low fat) cake.

So I have a birthday coming up, and a colonoscopy, and the fresh slate of a new year (I wish it could be that easy-Crohn's was soooo 2012. Peace out IBD in 2013!). I don't know what's in store for tomorrow, let alone the next year, but I still find myself making plans, listing things I want to accomplish. I hope I will be able to cross some things off that list. I hope I will be able to have twice as many mini parties to make up for the past two years of shitty birthdays. I hope I will spend less time on the couch, bed, and toilet and more time out in the world. I hope-I guess that's the main thing. I still hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment