Saturday, May 2, 2015

Well, Hello Sailor!

So I says to Mabel, I says.....
 
 
So in case anyone still reads this blog, you might have noticed I took a tiny break, just a few days off to relax, kick back, eat some Milano's, watch a little Lifetime....oh right. I TOOK OFF A FUCKING YEAR. I avoided this blog for a year, and now I'm back and swear-ier than ever!
 
Sorry about that.
 
The absence, and to a lesser degree, the swearing.
 
Things were good, things were bad. I was happy, I was sad. I met a cad, his name was Vlad. I could go on like this for days (don't be mad).
 
As is so often the case with my colon, I had good months and less good months; during the good months, I promptly forgot about the previous months and went about the daily business of living, and when things got worse I would actually be a little surprised, as though I hadn't experienced the exact same delightfully life-inhibiting symptoms 4 or 6 or 8 weeks before.
 
I'm sure this is some complex coping mechanism, or simply self-sanctioned colonic amnesia. Either way, each time things take a turn for the worse, it's like a little betrayal, instead of something that I should definitely be expecting four years (!!!!) after my diagnosis.
 
After failing two different blood tests AND a super fun stool test (and by failing, I mean overachieving in the inflammatory markers department), I'm going to change my meds around this week in hopes of turning down the drama in my AAC. I would say "with the goal of re-inducing remission," but remission is a word that I'm not really comfortable using with my Crohn's. Remission seems to indicate a cessation of symptoms, a return to normalcy, a complete reversal of disease. I know that's a very black and white way of looking at it, but since I was diagnosed I've never had that kind of clear cut difference between disease and.....not disease. I just seem to have varying degrees of disease activity.
 
It's like a pot simmering on the stove. Sometimes the heat gets turned up and the pot boils over, and sometimes it just simmers away in the background, but no one ever turns off the stove.
 
I was at the eye doctor the other day, dealing with some fun inflammatory eye problems (thanks Crohn's!) and I was asking him if the increase in medication might help with the inflammation in my eyeball. His response:
 
"I think it might. You know, some people are just really susceptible to inflammation. Inflammation from your Crohn's, inflammation in your eyes, it's all just inflammation. You just have a lot of inflammation going on, so lots of things get irritated. You just have a lot of inflammation going on. Inflammation inflammation inflammation inflammation inflammation inflammation inflammation."
 
Just kidding about the last part, he didn't really say it, it's just that after the first part I kind of tuned him out and he sounded like that teacher in Peanuts. Also, thanks for the pep talk Doc! This is why I don't feel guilty for stealing eye drop samples from your exam room.
 
I had a really good two months before April (and now May). Even a few good days will lull you into a false sense of security, so imagine what two months will do. All of the work you do in those good months, all the progress you make and the positive steps you take in your life, grinds to a halt. I was beating myself up the other day for not pushing through this kind of inertia that takes hold when I'm not feeling well, and I realized that along with the symptoms comes exhaustion, a kind of exhaustion I just settle into now. I just hole up in my bed with my cell phone, good magazines to take with me to the bathroom, six different layers of blankets (for the night sweats, when I get too hot and then when I freeze because I'm covered in sweat and have kicked half of the blankets off the bed), and an easy sense of resignation.
 
That's what I'm working on now. That's what I've been working on for the past year, when I haven't been blogging. How do you plan a life around an unknown quantity of good days, and how do you push through the inertia, the resignation, the self-defeat that so easily invades the bad days?
 
I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment