Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Nothing to crow about

DRAMATIC DATELINE STYLE REENACTMENT
There's a big magnolia tree outside my window, with a robin's nest nestled in the crook of one of the larger branches. It was empty last year, but a few days ago I woke up to the whoosh whoosh whoosh of bird wings. A mama bird was flying around the yard collecting moss and hopping around the outside of the nest, plugging holes and freshening up the mud and twigs for the arrival of the next generation.

This pleased me, as I saw it as a generally hopeful sign of spring, a time of new beginnings and possibilities and other Hallmark whatnot.

This morning, I heard the mother robin going batshit insane, pacing along the gutters of the roof opposite her nest, screaming towards it. Putting on my glasses, I saw a fat black crow hovered over the nest, shards of baby blue egg and yolk stuck to its gaping maw of a beak. He (not sure why I thought of it as an asshole male bird) looked, if you'll excuse my anthorpomorphization (I know that's not spelled right, DEAL WITH IT) of the animal, pleased with himself, his large glossy body looking especially menacing in comparison to the small nest he was pillaging. To add insult to injury, he took his time with his breakfast, lingering long after the last egg was consumed, the mama bird increasingly, and impotently, furious.

It was a dispiriting way to start the day (more so for the mother robin, I imagine). The mother bird hasn't returned, and the once tidy nest is in disarray, as though tossed in a burglary. I keep the blinds closed so I don't have to look at it.

I'm not going to try to draw some deep and meaningful connection between this little vignette and the current state of my health, both because that is some serious Freshman Lit 101 shit and also because I'm too tired to attempt that manner of pop-psychology gymnastics. But things are not good right now, and it's hard to remain even-keeled and dry-eyed about the whole thing.

Today was one of those days where I wish I had a giant dog bed I could park between the toilet and the tub, so that I could curl up and doze between bouts of angry colonic activity. It was one of those days when I had to practice, in my head, the polite excuses I could use if the furnace repairman tried to ask me a question or hand me a bill when I was about to run to the bathroom.

"If you'll just hold on a minute, I have to run upstairs."
"I have the stomach flu, so if you could just leave the bill on the table that would be great."
"I left my checkbook upstairs, hold on while I grab it!" (10 minute interval and several toilet flushes follow. smooth!)
"Hold on, I'm expecting an important phone call from my doctor's office, I'll be right with you!"

And on and on and on. Luckily he kept himself occupied during the most active part of the morning, far away from the bathrooms.

I am so tired. I'm tired of having to think of excuses for my AAC, of canceling plans, or of actually forcing myself to follow through with plans and meet ups and feeling sick the whole time, or worried about getting stuck in traffic with what my foreign neighbor would call "a dodgy tummy."

I'm tired of waking up with what I call the goat sweats, wherein I'm pulled from sound slumber by a general feeling of dampness and then get a whiff of myself smelling, you guessed it, like a goat who's just gone to Zumba class.

I'm tired of forcing fluids when the last thing I want to do is drink anything because I'm so nauseous, when even the weight of water in my stomach feels like too much.

I'm tired of eating foods that are white, whitish, beige, brown, or taupe. Noodles, toast, plain applesauce, rice. I'm tired of simple foods like hummus tasting like a vacation for my tongue, when there is a great wide world of delicious food that I could be eating.

I'm tired of being tired, to an extent where putting together sentences and remembering specific words feels like work.

I'm so tired, in fact, that I actually called my doctor's office and requested steroids, which I hate, because I want to feel better.

I picked them up today. I'll start them tomorrow. I'm too tired to think about the side effects, or getting work done, or putting away my laundry, or doing anything beyond travelling between my bed and the kitchen and the bathroom and couch.

Tomorrow, I'll take the pills with a swig of Gatorade, hoping for an energy assist from the quick jolt of glucose to my system. I'll eat my toast and hope for better things, Hallmark sentiments and all.


It's all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment