Sunday, October 14, 2012

Post #56: Where I make out with some broccoli

Hey stud.

Oh, couch. Oh, daytime TV. Oh, low residue foods.

Luckily, the weather here has turned fall-ish, which makes hibernation more palatable. There is something uniquely depressing about crawling under the covers in the afternoon of a gorgeously sunny day.

This month all of the magazines are packed with Thanksgiving recipes, and I don't kid myself that I'll be able to tolerate most of them-I scoff at you cornbread stuffing! I laugh in your face, pecan pie! Last Thanksgiving I stuck to turkey and (plain) mashed potatoes-it's unfortunate that one of the best eating holidays has become an anxiety-riddled exercise in restraint. I love Thanksgiving foods-buttery, salty stuffing, sweet potatoes with a pecan crumble topping, dinner rolls, gravy-and pie, oh, the pie. I am really good at making pies. I know how to make a crust that is buttery and flaky, but still crisp on the bottom. I how to coat the top of a double crust pie with apricot jam to make it look like it came from a fancy bakery, or a magazine photo shoot. I know how to make a chocolate Bourbon pecan pie that is kind of shocking in its excess.

But of all the recipes flaunted in these magazines and floating through my memory, one-a raw brussel sprout salad with red onions, oranges, and toasted nuts, makes me want to rip out the page and chew on the paper (can't though-too much fiber). I crave salads, but I don't crave the inevitable pain and discomfort they will cause. If you had told me a year ago that the food I most desire involves brussel sprouts (and raw brussel sprouts!) I would have laughed in your face, and then eaten another slice of pie.

I think what I really crave is textural difference. Most of the food I eat now is not crisp. It has no bite. Before all this, when I was feeling well, it's not like I always ate particularly healthfully, but I did go through phases where I "ate the rainbow" (and I mean produce, not skittles). I used to be the high fiber queen. I used to eat swiss chard and lentils and roasted butternut squash. I ate big salads and raw vegetables and spinach. I mean, I also ate chocolate and ice cream and feta, but we're focusing on healthy shit now.

I can't eat those things right now. Maybe, in the future, I'll get to a place where I can without fearing pain or a colon explosion. As I chill on the couch, and watch the food commercials, it's not the quarter pounders, french fries, chicken sandwiches, cupcakes or cookies that make me drool-it's the Mexican food, with beans (beans! I remember beans!) and cheese. When I flip through these magazines, I'm not interested in the turkey, particularly, but the veggie sides.

I still haven't been able to find a happy medium between what my head wants and what my stomach can tolerate. As a result, I tend to eat the same things over and over and over, because they are "safe" and easy. I don't think I'm doing a very good job of nourishing my body. My focus has shifted solely to symptom avoidance and away from nutrition.

Before Thanksgiving, this is something I need to work on, because on that day I am eating real food. Maybe if I look at incorporating some more nutritious foods into my diet as a kind of training regimen, it will seem less daunting. Some people train for 5k runs-I would like to train my colon to accept new and different food friends. It would also be nice to not feel the need to muzzle myself in the produce section.

No comments:

Post a Comment