Saturday, February 16, 2013

Post #95: Meerkatin' it up

These meerkats are perfectly expressing both my general attitude and  "I have a pain in my colon"  position. 
Here's the thing about Crohn's: you can be having a perfectly normal  (well, "normal") day and suddenly, at 3am, your AAC oh-so-politely interrupts a perfectly sound sleep to express its displeasure. It's kind of how my mom used to wake me up for school. Most moms might slip into the room quietly, sit down on the bed, perhaps lovingly caress your hair and whisper, "time to wake up and greet the new day,  my most perfect treasure!"

My mom would turn on the lights and grab my ankle. Let me tell you, it's disorienting to go from sound sleep to full light and someone tugging on your leg. This is why I got an alarm clock in the 4th grade. This is also how my AAC wakes me up at night: not with a slow dawning of pain, a courteous twinge or two, but a full on onslaught of sensation. Asleep, then awake: not in pain, then in pain. 

I'm back on the full dose of steroids (yeahhh! but really, not yeah), and I should be eating f-ing real food by now, but instead I was thwarted by some lactose-free tapioca pudding WTF. I calculated, and I haven't had a "normal" meal in 23 days. If I'm using a lot of the word normal in quotation marks, it's because the definition of normal is constantly changing. It's stressful. And at 3am, when you are woken and surprised by pain you were not expecting, it's hard not to wish for the "normal" you had yesterday, which could still be crappy, but at least was not as painful. 

Anyway. 

I feel like I am having some emotional constipation about this most recent episode, about the stress and the pain and the uncertainty, and I think some of that can be chalked up to fatigue. But one emotion I can reliably access is my old friend annoyance: that's right, it's time for another round of "stupid shit people say about my AAC!" Because there's nothing like dwelling on the stupid shit other people say to deflect attention from you own emotional state (#avoidance). 

Person 1
I go to visit a friend who knows all the gory details of my AAC. I explain the situation to her. She looks miffed. 

Me: Why do you look pissed off? 
P1: I just think......I think they should be doing more for you. 
Me: Who? My doctor? I think he's doing pretty much everything he can. 
P1: Well, I don't. They should be helping you more. Like, with your diet. 
Me: Uhhh, I'm pretty much doing the broth thing. There's not much to work with. 
P1: Well, exactly! I can't believe there isn't more you could be doing to help heal yourself and make yourself feel better. 
Me: Food makes me feel sick. I'm not sure now is the time to be trying new diets. Plus, you know, doctors aren't into the whole "diet affects health" thing. 
P1: EXACTLY! How stupid is that?! (I don't totally disagree with her, btw). How could what you put in your body not affect the way you feel? It makes no sense. 
Me: Well, now is not the time for a drastic change. I will stick with my broth and hope nothing gets stuck in my business. 
P1: I just think it's been going on for too long, and there must be something you can do to make yourself feel better. 

Subtext: YOU ARE DOING CROHN'S WRONG. Obviously, the foods that you are eating, the ONLY ONES YOU CAN TOLERATE WITHOUT PAIN, are incorrect. Because I am currently trying this green juice recipe I heard on the radio, I am a nutritional expert. 

Person 2: 
Called to check in on me; I provided an update. 

P2: You're still on a liquid diet?! I don't think I could handle that. I mean, not to be able to eat solid foods? I think I would JUST DIE. 
Me: Uhhh, well....ok. I mean it's not like I have a choice about what I'm eating-I'm just trying to avoid pain. 
P2: But still, no solid foods? For almost a month? I don't know how you do it. I would just DIE. 

(thinking is my head: WELL OK WHY NOT JUST GO DO THAT THEN). 

Subtext: Your life SUCKS. What I really wanted to say was this: pretend that everyday, you had to poop out a lime. Like, push it out your entire digestive system. That would hurt just a tidge, no? Now let's say you could just drink the juice instead while your digestive system heals. Lady, you would be drinking that shit by the gallon and not be pining over a Big Mac. For serious). 

Person 3,4,5: I've hard this variation like two or three times this week. Here's one of the actual conversations: 

P3: Still on the liquid diet huh? 
Me: Yup. Broth and Odwalla for the win!
P3: Well, at least you must be losing a lot of weight. 
Me: Well I guess some, but I'm actually doing a pretty good job maintaining my weight. 
P3: Well, it wouldn't be so bad to lose a little weight, now would it?
Me: It would if it meant my body was literally eating itself due to malnutrition. 
P3: Oh. 

Subtext: Fatty, you are missing the silver lining in this whole Crohn's business-you could lose a size or two and really REAP THE REWARDS of this disease!

The sad thing is, these are my friends and family. They mean well. They want the best for me. And the people with my best interests at heart are still the ones supplying endless fodder for this blog. 

Excuse me while I go assume the meerkat position in the corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment