Monday, July 9, 2012

Post #37

Dude, if they actually printed snarky, hilarious taunts on toliet paper tubes I would have SO MUCH MORE FUN in the bathroom.

Hey guess what? I have Crohn's. You might be thinking, well, you have a BLOG about it, and you bitch about it on the aforementioned blog all the time, and you have a stable of doctors and assholish naturopaths telling you what to do about your AAC, so.....yeah. In other news, Starbucks is expensive sub-par swill and Tom Sellack has manly chest hair. I'll take things that are obvious for 800, Alex!


But even though those doctors have been officially calling it "Crohn's" for about 7 (!!!) months now, you have to remember that I have been dealing with a finicky colon for over 10 years. Even now, a part of me thinks, well, maybe this is just really bad IBS. Maybe it's a phase, maybe it's an allergy, maybe it's an infection, maybe, maybe, maybe....except: it's not.


I have Crohn's.


Today was a really bad day. Correction: today was a truly awful morning followed by a bad day. Not IBS bad. Crohn's bad. I have five days before I'm off the steroids. As I was running back and forth to the bathroom, this reality slapped me in the face: soon, my last pharmaceutical crutch will be removed, and I will be on my own with what is shaping up to be one very, very sick, unpredictable, AAC.


I am scared.


I am scared about the drugs I might need to take, and the side effects of those drugs. At the same time, I'm afraid that those drugs won't work, and I'll need to take scarier drugs. Ones that require transfusion alongside the chemo patients. Or ones that you inject into yourself at home. There's a "treatment pyramid," that ranks the various Crohn's treatments on a scale, from least to most toxicity. I've been at the top of the pyramid, afraid to go down. Now, as reality sets in, I'm afraid of how far down I'll have to go.


I have Crohn's, and I am scared.


All of those nourishing, safe-ish foods I was bragging about last night? Today my body couldn't get rid of them fast enough, purging them from my system, twisting my gut into painful knots (note to self: add grape tomatoes to the list of doom). The rest of the day was spent in a zoned-out haze. A  nap was taken. Fluids were consumed. My legs were cramping, and I didn't want to use the secret bottle of Gatorade hidden in my trunk, so I tried coconut water instead, hoping to get in some much needed electrolytes, the natural way! Unfortunately, coconut water tastes like regurgitated pond scum, so I ate a banana instead. It helped a little.


I feel sick and tired and apprehensive. I don't want to get off of the steroids, but if I need them, what does that say? It doesn't take a genius to realize that if a high dose of steroids put you in clinical remission, and a low dose brings back some (ok, a lot) of the symptoms of active disease, it's time to choose a stronger medicine you can stay on for the long term. This was what tapering was supposed to be about, although in my head it went a little differently. Instead of pointing to the need for actual drugs for my actual disease, I would be steroid free and driving to vacation in a red convertible (don't own one, but maybe that was my present for being symptom free! I'm very generous like that), stopping at each vista on the coastal highway and maybe taking a sexy al fresco bath on the beach, like in the erectile dysfunction ads.


Reality is biting me in the ass (which is already getting enough action, thank you very much). Tapering was supposed to buy me time to adjust to whatever the next steps needed to be-I just never fully reconciled myself to the fact that the next steps would be anything other than getting on with my life in a normal fashion. But I have work, and a long car trip, and a vacation, and somewhere in the background a normal life I haven't been living for far too long.


I have Crohn's. And it's not going away. And I need to decide, after a few months of respite, how I'm going to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment