Monday, November 12, 2012

Post #70: I never call BS on ranting

I'm blogging 30 posts in 30 days for National Health Blog Post Month with @wegohealth.
 
Won't you come join me? Pull up a chair, plenty of room.
 
Le Prompt: Call BS on something. What's something that is just ridiculous?
Well what do we have here? Another prompt that requires RANTING? OK!
 
 
I think this list requires a rating system; let's say 1-5 pooping cows. Obviously, the more pooping cows, the more bullshit. To the list!
 
5 Cows: Plug your nose holes
 
Doctors who say they can "fix" or "cure you
I was trying to figure out where my extreme distrust of gastroenterologists came from, and one of the reasons that I came up with is that pre-diagnosis, in the IBS days, 95% of the doctors I visited, be they gastros, internists, or even naturopaths, assured me they knew what was wrong and they knew exactly how to fix it. They had ideas, and plans, and a confident air of expertise. They all failed.
 
Maybe I wouldn't have raised my hopes so high if they hadn't been so sure of their ability to correctly diagnose and treat my problem, but every time I was left in a deeper and darker hole than when I started. One gastro, after prescribing 4-5 medications (bear bile, anyone?) finally looked away from the computer screen, propped his elbows on his knees, and said, "Well, I'm out of ideas." So what should I do next? "Maybe go see a different gastroenterologist." Thanks! And the saga continued.
 
Now, I don't think any of these doctors would have fed me the same lines if I had a Crohn's diagnosis-they're not quacks. But one of the reasons I like my current doctor is that he has never claimed to have all of the answers. He said in our first meeting that treating Crohn's is an ongoing process, and it would probably take some time to find the right medication combination that would give me the best symptom control. And that has always been the goal: symptom control, remission, quality of life: actual potential positive outcomes with this disease.
 
I'm still working hard to trust him, even though he has never tried to sell me a promise I know, deep down, to be false. It is, like the Crohn's, an ongoing process.
 
4 Cows: Grab a shovel!
 
Medication side effects that are worse than the actual disease
For serious. In the early days of taking one medication, I had this actual thought:
 
Untreated Crohn's is preferable to this drug.
 
Let that sink in. Crohn's is bad enough, but add in a laundry list of super fun side effects and the party JUST KEEPS ROCKING. Now, nausea and diarrhea (ironic, no?) are one thing, but then add in the really scary potential side effects: lymphoma, heart failure, fatal infections.....it's enough to make you want to crawl under a rock and suck your thumb. Beyond worrying about cancer or catching pneumonia, there is the great known/unknown conundrum. I know how crappy I feel with untreated (and, sometimes, treated) Crohn's-how exactly, and in what ways, will I suffer with new medications A, B, or C? It's never an easy decision to decide to cast your hopes on a medication that will potentially (and in my experience, frequently) make you feel worse than when you started, hurting you as it's "helping" your disease.
 
3 Cows: Fertilize those flower beds!
 
Colonoscopies
In the world of Crohn's, you'll hear this a lot: colonoscopies are the GOLD STANDARD of diagnosing and monitoring the disease. It's the best way to know what is going on up in your digestive business; sure, an MRI can show inflammation or strictures or obstructions, but nothing beats getting up close and personal with your mucosal lining with a camera attached to a giant hose. Here's the deal: WHY HASN'T ANYONE FIGURED OUT A BETTER WAY TO DO THIS?! Yes, there are those little pill cameras you can swallow, but it's not the same.
 
Dear science: first, focus on the cure for Crohn's thing, that's muy importante. And while you're doing that, I guess find better Crohn's treatments with fewer side effects and less toxicity. But if you have time, and want an extra credit project, can you work on creating a less invasive test to scope out my AAC? Maybe a "Magic School Bus" style shrinking ray for my doctor and a tiny colon submarine? Thanks.
 
2 Cows: Collect those Rocky Mountain oysters!
 
Insurance
Having to worry about getting and maintaining coverage if you have a pre-existing condition?  Let's work on that.
 
1 Cow: Mooooooooo
 
Fatigue.
I really, reallllllly have to call BS on Fatigue. I know it's a symptom of my disease, and actually of some of my meds, but I would like to get through the day without having to take a nap. I would like to, say, attend a yoga class (where I worry about colon explosions a lot of the time, btw) and know that I have enough energy to complete the class AND stay awake for more than an hour after it. It's frustrating to only have energy in fits and starts.
 
All of the things on this list are bullshit worthy. You know what is NOT bullshit worthy? The fact that this is my 70th post. Holy crap. Through flares, brief periods of remission, colon explosions, new meds, old meds, and now a month of daily blogging, my ass (and my AAC) has been writing post after post. Thanks for reading about the goings on in my colon, and I hope your own AACs aren't angry at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment