Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Post #78: Brought to you by the letter R

R is for RAGE!

Is pharmacy rage a thing? I feel like it is a thing.

I interrupt your regularly scheduled national health month blogging to bring you this special RAGE REPORT. I'm delaying lunch so I relate the following pharmacy conversation. GRRRRR.

Me: (drive up to pick of prescriptions, give name, etc.)
Pharmacy girl (PG): So, did you know that the manufacturer of one of your medications changed?
Me: You're kidding me.
PG: No, it's a different manufacturer now.
Me: No, I get that part. There was this whole thing....I talked to like six people.....there is a problem with the new manufacturer.....there should be a note in my file (anger making me less coherent than usual)
PG: Oh, I see that here. Sorry. Hold on. Well do you want to pick up these pills now and we'll order the other ones next time?
Me: I don't want those pills. I want the other pills. I've been over this before.
PG: Is there a reason?
Me: They make me sick.
PG: Oh, ok. Hold on.

*wait in car*

PG comes back with new bottle in hand. Looks at it, looks at old bottle. Looks at new bottle, looks at old bottle.

PG: So, we only have a few pills from the old manufacturer in stock.
Me: Ok, I'll take those.
PG: So you want to take the new pills?
Me: I WANT THE OLD PILLS.
PG: We don't have enough in stock.
Me: What is the bottle in your hand? Are those the drugs from the old manufacturer? I will take those.
PG: Oh. Ok, we can do that, but there are only 80. Do you want me to fill the difference with the new pills?
Me: (summoning inner peace. failing). I. DO. NOT. WANT. THE. NEW. PILLS. They make me sick. My hair falls out and I get insomnia (consider doing interpretive dance).
PG: Ok, hold on.

*wait in car*

PG: Ok, I can fill part of the prescription now with the old pills.
Me: Great! Ok then. When can you order more?
PG: I don't know.
Me: Could you maybe check?
PG: Ok, hold on. Well, I don't know. Let's see (looks flustered). Just a second....
Me: Do you want me to come back in like 10 minutes so you can figure all of this out?
PG: Do you want to come back?
Me: You tell me (forced grin!). Can you do it now or do you have to talk to the pharmacist?
PG: Ok, come back in 10 minutes.

*wait in parking lot*

PG: Ok, they are back ordered.
Me: What does that mean? Like, will they be available in a few days? A week? A month?
PG: It doesn't say. It just says they are back ordered.
Me: Right, but could you give me a time frame here?
PG: It just says back ordered on the computer. So we can't order them.
Me: Is there another way to find out when they might be available? A number you could call? Could you call around to other pharmacies to see if they have any in stock?
PG: (getting frustrated-THE NERVE): It just says back ordered. We have no way of knowing. You should going to another pharmacy. Hold on, let me get the pharmacist to talk to you.

*wait in car*

PG: Ok, I'll just need a credit card.
Me: I already gave you one, and you already charged it.
PG: (impatiently) No no, that was voided. The manager cancelled the whole thing. It's voided.
Me: Alrighty then. So, what did the pharmacist say?
PG: He has no way of knowing. It just says back ordered on the computer.
Me: I picked up on that.
PG: You know, you're paying the same price whether you pick up 80 pills or 120 pills. Are you sure you don't want me to give you 80 of the old and 40 of the new?
Me: (in my head: am I being punked?!). I don't know how else I can say this. I don't want them.
PG: Ok, hold on. Would you like a pharmacist to talk to you?
Me: (silent)
PG: (ignoring me anyway) Here are your prescriptions. Have a nice day.

*drive away*

No comments:

Post a Comment