Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Post #7

This is not where my colon would live. It would probably live in a haunted house. 
So, day 2 of le taper. I'm not sure if I'm going to have any idea of how my body is reacting to the change for a few more days. I think the bigger issue is the new foods I've been introducing into my diet-fruits and vegetables and spelt, oh my!

This whole industry around gluten free-the proliferation of breads and chips that take up more and more real estate on the grocery aisle-is kind of astounding. If your body can truly not tolerate gluten, if you're diagnosed with celiac or an allergy or even if you feel you have an intolerance/sensitivity, then I'm glad you can now buy gluten-free brownie mix at your local grocery chain. For my purposes, in wanting to cut down on the inflammation caused by white flour/sugar, I'm not necessarily convinced gluten-free is the way to go. Is trading white flour for white rice flour really that much of a step up? Is it that much easier to digest? Wouldn't eating whole wheat flour accomplish much of the same thing (since as far as I know, gluten and I get along)?

Don't get me started on sugar-is brown rice syrup or organic cane sugar or any of that crap superior to normal sugar? I know that HFCS is the devil, etc., but anyone who does a few laps around Whole Foods knows it's entirely possible to have organic, "healthy" junk food.

And the YOGURT. I don't eat dairy, but it is now possible to get soy or lactose free, or goat's milk, or even freaking COCONUT yogurt. And then there are a myriad of flavor choices. Some of them have sugar, some of them just look gross. And what the fuck is kefir?

All of this is to say that I am thoroughly confused about what to stuff in my face for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have no one guiding me in this pursuit-I have books (I bought more books yesterday, in fact!) that say different things, and for each website I find that gives one piece of advice, I can find two to contradict it. My doctor-doctor says diet doesn't really play a role in Crohn's treatment. My asshole naturopath, of course, completely disagrees, and just told me to stop eating all carbs completely without pointing me towards any resources. I know there is no specific diet for Crohn's, but I WOULD REALLY LIKE FOR SOMEONE TO JUST TELL ME WHAT TO EAT.

Just after I was diagnosed, I went to see a nutritionist, who put me on a super low fiber diet. Lots of white stuff involved. I brought with me a list of my safety foods, most of which were carbs. That was all I could tolerate at that point, but I kind of want to test myself and see if I can eat pretty much any food you could buy at a farmer's market. Since I've strayed off the list, though, I have less predictability in my day, bowel wise, which is restricting my activities somewhat. For now, it's kind of a no-win situation. I'm spaced out and tired, but my system seems to be tolerating the new foods, and in the long run I just don't believe that a steady diet of white bread and Gatorade is going to help me get my energy back.

In other news, I read somewhere that today is National Hummus Day. Hummus is a major food group in my diet, and I think my body composition is approximately 2.5 percent chickpea. Thank you hummus, for always being the one "fun" food on my safety list. You have never pissed off my AAC, and for that I am grateful.

Tomorrow: adventures in gluten free baking (hint: it's mostly edible!).

ps: Why does spell check recognize the brand name "Gatorade" and not "Crohn's disease?" CONSPIRACY.

No comments:

Post a Comment